Friday, September 7, 2012

Visions of the Coming Days, R. Loren Sandford

This particular book review post is part of a book review program with Bethany House. The Bethany House book review program is simple: I request a book from the links they send via email, then I read the book they send and write a review on this blog and a retailer’s site (such as Amazon). If this sounds like something that interests you, you can get more information and/or sign up here: www.bethanyhouse.com/bookreviewers

R. Loren Sandford writes about (well, you probably guessed this from the title) the future (and in relation, kind of about the end of days). Everyone believes something about what's coming and/or how the world will end and this is another view to fit into that category.


I have to tell you that I'm a skeptic. I believe that the word will end, yes, but I'm skeptical of the people that preach, sell, warn, and tell others about their theories on how the world will end, what will happen, what we will/will not become, blah, blah, blah. It all seems a bit crazy to me most times. For instance, a zombie/vampire apocalypse? I guess I'll believe it when I see it, otherwise I'm not buying what you're selling. A nuclear war tearing us apart, however, is much more believable to me.

But I don't know. Can anyone really know? ... I guess those are just some of the thoughts that run through my head when I hear other people talking about the end of the world and what they think/"know" (I'm a skeptic, remember?) will happen.

Stanford, however, completely blew any preconceived ideas about what he had to say right out of the water for me. I was surprised that I not only agreed with a lot of what he wrote about, but that I had been thinking along the same lines for some of the topics he discusses.

Coming from an admitted skeptic, I don't think I need to say that this makes me recommend this book wholeheartedly. It also makes me want to look into everything he said more in-depth and generate discussion with my peers and those around me about his views, how they line up with a Biblical perspective, and how practical application (if it's indeed needed based on what Stanford wrote) can be applied.

I'm not sure what else to say except that this is a must-read. Everyone needs to read this, because it's insightful, thought-provoking, and exceptionally well-written.

No comments:

Post a Comment