Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Relentless Pursuit, Ken Gire

This review is part of a book review program with Bethany House. The Bethany House book review program is simple: I request a book from the links they send via email, then I read the book they send and write a review on this blog and a retailer’s site (such as Amazon). If this sounds like something that interests you, you can get more information and/or sign up here: www.bethanyhouse.com/bookreviewers

This book can pretty much be summed up on the cover, where it says: "God's love of outsiders including the outsider in all of us" and is accompanied by a cover with four sheep on it, one way off to the side and away from the other ones (a pretty great image, if I do say so myself).

Gire's approach kind of caught me off guard. I should just know by now, having read several books that have caught me in such a state, that I need to stop having preconceptions about the books I receive in this program. I don't really know what I expected, but I think it was something more along the lines of a manual.

I got a story book instead. Including several stories about C.S. Lewis, Francis Thompson, his own life, and many others, Gire writes with an engaging voice about relatable topic matter. He uses the stories he tells throughout each chapter in order to present a clearly understandable point to illustrate the titled theme of his book.

While I have to say that this isn't the best book I've ever read, it's certainly not on my list of bad ones either. Gire is engaging, humorous at times, clear about where his pursuit of the topic is going throughout the book, and interesting enough to hold my attention.

Out of a 1-10 (low/high) rating, I'd rate this book around 6. There are great points that Gire makes, and if you're feeling as if you're an outsider, this is definitely a good book to read to gain a (most likely) new perspective on things. I know I learned/realized a few things about myself when I read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment