Monday, September 30, 2013

Into the Whirlwind, Elizabeth Camden

This review is part of a book review program with Bethany House. The Bethany House book review program is simple: I request a book from the links from the links they send via email, then I read the book they send and write a review on this blog and a retailer's site (such as Amazon). If this sounds like something that interests you, you can get more information and/or sign up here: www.bethanyhouse.com/bookreviewers.

Mollie Knox has everything neatly lined up and a bright future ahead for her watch-making business until the night the Chicago fire burns up her entire world. As the flames die down, and the rebuilding of Chicago commences, Mollie will do whatever she has to do to rebuild her business. But when she locks horns with Zack Kazmarek, an influential attorney for one of Chicago's finest department stores, she finds herself pushed beyond her comfort zone. And Zack will do whatever it takes to win this beautiful and beguiling businesswoman's heart. With her heart on the line, will Mollie step out of her comfort zone to find her happily ever after? Or will all her dreams rest with her company's rebuilt future?

Camden has once again written a great story (see my Against the Tide review here). With each twist and new development in the story line, I was kept on the edge of my seat waiting for what happens next. Camden's characters, like in Against the Tide, are intriguing, headstrong, at times frustrating, and very believable and real. As is more historically accurate, some of the incidents, cultural oddities, and happenings in the book are very realistic to the historic setting.

Though there were some twists and turns throughout the book, I hesitate to say that it was fairly predictable... but I have to own up to that admission - I think it lacked that bit of surprise that I expect from a new book.

I would rate this (on a 1-10 low/high scale) at about a 6. Camden has a gift for storytelling and I was pleased with the result of the second book I've read from her. I would recommend this book to anyone that likes a love story and a story of new beginnings.

No comments:

Post a Comment